Courtesy of Fresh, Frugal, Fabulous
1 package pie crusts
Pie weights or dried beans
2 large red skinned potatoes, small dice
½ lb. bacon, diced ½ inch thick
1 package of ham steaks
2 small leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
½ lb. white cheddar cheese, shredded
2 ½ c. half and half
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the pie crusts in two 9” pie plates, crimping decoratively if desired. Line each crust with a piece of tin foil; fill the foil with the pie weights or the dried beans, scootching the weights or beans up the sides of the crust to avoid the dreaded ‘shrinkage’. Place the crusts in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and the weights and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375.
2. Meanwhile, place the diced potatoes in a glass baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, and cover dish with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 4 – 5 minutes, or until cooked through but not falling apart. Stir them around a bit, if needed. Set aside.
3. In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon over medium high heat until browned and crispy. Remove the bacon and transfer to a bowl. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Sauté the leeks in the bacon fat; seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, until leeks are softened but not browned, about four minutes. Transfer the leeks to the bowl with the bacon, and toss to combine.
4. In large Pyrex measuring cup, beat the eggs and the half and half together. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide the potatoes equally between the two pie crusts. For the Ham and Cheese Quiche, top the potatoes with the diced ham and then half of the shredded cheddar. For the Bacon and Leek Quiche, top the potatoes with the bacon/leek mixture, and then the other half of the cheese. Pour the egg mixture over each quiche, dividing equally. Place quiches to the oven; bake for 30 minutes. Transfer quiches to a rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving.
Serves 4-6 with leftovers